Biology 11 review question for exam:
Answer these questions using your notes, lab diagrams, and selected text
Notes and handout:
- What are the criteria of life?
- How is life organized? What are the levels of organization
Field study at Central park
- Field Study: Identify plants in a west coast rainforest, describeand draw:
- trees: vine maple, cedar, hemlock, douglas fir
- bushes: salal, huckleberry, salmonberry, red elderberry
- ground cover: moss, ferns
be prepared to identify the plants from a picture
You have 2 plant diagrams:
- Plant diagrams: Summarize the correct order of plant evolution.
- What are three evolutionary trends of plants?
- How do land plants adapt to conditions on land?
- Identify how plants prevent water loss
- How do tracheophyte plants disperse their male gametophyte?
- Ferns (use swimming sperm.)
- Conifers ( use wind pollination)
- angiosperms (use wind AND vector pollination (attract the pollinator))
- How do plants move water up from the ground?
- What is the definition of a plant?
- See the plant diagrams: Also textbook p. 257 to 274,primarily the diagrams. What are the primary characteristicsand examples of plants classifiedas:
- Phylum Bryophyta
- Phylum Tracheophyta
- phylum Tracheophyta, class pterophyta
- Tracheophyta, class sphenophyta
- Tracheophyta, gymnosperm class ginkgo
- Tracheophyta, gymnosperm class coniferae
- Tracheophyta, class angiospermae
- You drew two reproductive diagrams. Be prepared to label the reproductive diagrams of
- recognize micropic view of sori, sporangium, spores,moss gametophyte
Classification notes (handout) : and the text: p196-199
- Who invented classification?
- What is binomial nomenclature and give an example
- What are the five kingdoms of life? Give a definition andan example
- How do scientists know that some life forms are moreclosely related than others?